Monday 5 March 2018

Accommodation Decisions

Students at Brighton and Sussex Medical School can choose to live on the University of Sussex campus or the University of Brighton, Falmer Campus. On each campus all of the medical students are housed together so either in Lewes Court or Paddock Field. There are a number of differences to consider.

Lewes Court - University of Sussex
When I went for my interview this is the accommodation we were shown.

Map from Google Maps (04.03.18)

Pros
Lewes Court is just under a 15 minute walk to the BSMS teaching building. It is close to the library and amenities like shops and a cash point.

Cons
Not all of Lewes Court is en-suite. Some of the flats have a shared bathroom between 6 bedrooms.

Paddock Field - University of Brighton, Falmer Campus

Map from Google Maps (04.03.18)

Pros
All of the flats in Paddock Field have en-suite bathrooms. There is the option for catering, the restaurant is only 3 minutes walk from the accommodation, and provides a varied menu for breakfast and dinner 5 days a week. On this campus you can also get free off-peak gym membership.

Cons
Slightly further to walk to the teaching building but still only just over 15 minutes. I'm unsure if the closest shops/cash point are on the University of Sussex campus or if there are some closer.

Personal Choice
I initially preferred the layout of the bedrooms in Lewes Court, particularly the style of desk supplied, but have settled on applying for Paddock Fields for two reasons. Firstly, because all of the rooms are en-suite, and secondly, because I would like to apply for the option of catering. Catering will just make my first year that little bit easier while I am adjusting to living away from home and trying to cope with my Dad being terminally ill while I have to focus on my degree. I am looking forward to cooking at the weekends though and thinking about healthy packed lunches.

Thanks for reading,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment